To synchronize content and usage data of the Podcatchers, a PC needs to be setup as a Sync Console near/at the handout desk which is connected to the Dockingstations and Internet. We will provide this PC to you, but if you need an extra Sync Console installed (for instance in the office or at a partner) or if you have to re-install your own PC, you can set up an a regular PC following the steps below. Note: any computer used as a Sync Console must meet these specifications.
Before a computer can sync Podcatchers, it will need some software so it ‘knows’ how to work with the Guide ID servers and devices. There’s TeamViewer (1) that lets you (and us) connect to the computer remotely (should it be necessary) and the Sync desktop application (2). Afterwards, you’ll need to associate the desktop app’s serial number with your Site (3) so the computer can synchronize your content.
Attention: if you have not yet received the Docking Stations, you can start the installation steps but you will not be able to complete step 3 because the activation code is not shown and/or the Sync program will say that the Sync service is not running. This is due to a limitation of the Windows driver model. Once you have connected the Docking station(s) and reboot the computer, the activation code will be displayed.
1. Guide-ID TeamViewer
In order for us to be able to help you remotely, you have the option of installing the TeamViewer Host program. Guide-ID can use this program to help you, if there are any problems during the installation of the synchronisation program or at any other point down the line. Installing this program is optional, but we recommend it.
Note; We always recommend to connect the Sycconsole onto your ‘guest network’ so your internal network is protected at all times. Your system administrator will be able to do this for you as it’s their responsibility.
- Download the program ‘TeamViewer_Host_Setup.exe‘.
- Find the file in your downloads folder, right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator. Contact your computer/network administrator to obtain these rights if you don’t have them.
- On the first screen click ‘Next’ .
- You will be asked how you would like to use the program, choose business/commercial and click ‘Next’.
- The license agreement will be shown, accept the agreement and click ‘Next’.
- You will be asked to choose a password, use the word Podcatcher and fill in a computer name, for example the name of your organization. If you have multiple Sync Consoles, we recommend naming them something descriptive like “Front desk” or “Podcatcher hand-out temporary tour” along with the name. You don’t have to tick the box for ‘add this computer to my list of computers’. Click ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete the installation.
- After installation a screen with Your ID will be shown. Send an email to email@example.com with this number and a description of your computer (where it’s located for example).
2. Installation of the Podcatcher Sync application
- Download the program ‘Sync Installer.exe‘.
- Find the file in your downloads folder, right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator.
- Windows may ask you to download a required piece of software (the .NET Framework 3.5 runtime) before it’ll let you run the installer. If this happens, let it install the requirements, and try the installation again.
- Click the ‘Install‘ button. The installation process will be run automatically. The installer will let you know when it’s done.
- As soon as the installation is finished you will see a green/white Podcatcher icon in your taskbar. If you double-click this icon you will see the sync program.
- The sync program should say ‘Warning – This Sync Console has not yet been activated yet!’. Beneath this message you will see an activation code. Copy this code by selecting as you would any other piece of text and press ctrl+c, or write this code down.
If you use a proxy server to connect to the Internet, check the article ‘advanced settings‘.
3. Activate your Sync Console online
- Go to the Podcatcher Portal and log in using your Podcatcher Portal account.
- Click ‘Sync‘ on the left-hand side of the page.
- Click the [ + Add Sync Console ] button to activate a Sync Console and to link it to your site.
- A popup window should appear with the following input fields:
- First, select the Sync Console option and click Next.
- Sync Console Authentication Key, this is where you fill in the activation code that you copied/wrote down from the previous step.
- Sync Console Description, this is where you fill in a name for the Sync Console, for example, ‘Distribution point main desk’.
- Number of Docking Stations connected, this is where you fill in the amount of Docking Stations that are connected to the Sync Console. Note: It’s not the amount of Podcatchers!
- Add the Console by clicking [ Add Sync Console ]. The list of Sync Consoles should update and the new one appears.
If you have multiple locations where Podcatchers need to be provided with content, you can redo the steps mentioned here above at any location with any computer that complies to the Sync Console specifications. Every installation will have its own unique activation code that you can use to activate the location and to be able to see it in the online Sync App.
Should you run into problems installing the Podcatcher Sync application, try the Sync Console installation troubleshooting page.