To synchronize content and usage data of the Podcatchers, a PC needs to be setup as a Sync Console near/at the handout desk which is connected to the Dockingstations and Internet. We will provide this PC to you, but if you need an extra Sync Console installed (for instance in the office or at a partner) or if you have to re-install your own PC, you can set up an a regular PC following the steps below. Note: any computer used as a Sync Console must meet these specifications.
Before a computer can sync Podcatchers, it will need some software so it ‘knows’ how to work with the Guide ID servers and devices. There’s TeamViewer (1) that lets you (and us) connect to the computer remotely (should it be necessary), the Docking station USB driver (2) so the computer knows how to ‘talk’ to the docks, and lastly the Sync desktop application (3). Afterwards, you’ll need to associate the desktop app’s registration key with your Site (4) so the computer can synchronize your content.
Attention: if you have not yet received the Docking Stations, you can start the installation steps but you will not be able to complete step 3 because the activation code is not shown and/or the Sync GUI will say that the Sync service is not running. This is due to a limitation of the Windows driver model. Once you have connected the Docking station(s) and reboot the computer, the activation code will be displayed.
1. Guide ID TeamViewer
In order for us to be able to help you remotely, you have the option of installing the TeamViewer Host program. Guide ID can use this program to help you, if there are any problems during the installation of the synchronisation program or at any other point down the line. Installing this program is optional, but we recommend it.
Note; We always recommend to connect the Sycconsole onto your ‘guest network’ so your internal network is protected at all times. Your system administrator will be able to do this for you as it’s his responsibility.
- Download the program ‘TeamViewer_Host_Setup.exe‘.
- Go to the location on your computer on which you saved the program and right-click on the program ‘TeamViewer_Host_Setup.exe and choose Run as Administrator. If you get the error ‘You need to run this installer as administrator’, then you do not have administrator rights. Contact your computer/network administrator to obtain these rights.
- On the first screen click ‘Next’ .
- You will be asked how you would like to use the program, choose business/commercial and click ‘Next’.
- The license agreement will be shown, accept the agreement and click ‘Next’.
- You will be asked to choose a password, use the word Podcatcher and fill in a computer name, for example the name of your organization. If you have multiple Sync Consoles, we recommend naming them something descriptive like “Front desk” or “Podcatcher hand-out temporary tour” along with the name. You don’t have to tick the box for ‘add this computer to my list of computers’. Click ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete the installation.
- After installation a screen with Your ID will be shown. Send an email to email@example.com with this number and a description of your computer (where it’s located for example).
2. Docking Station USB driver
- Download the program ‘FTDI Drivers Auto Executable CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe‘.
- Go to the location on your computer where you saved the program and right-click on the file you just downloaded and choose Run as Administrator.
- As soon as the installation is finished and the window disappears, you need to restart the computer.
- Place the Docking stations close to the synchronization computer and connect the adapter to the docking station and power supply. The light on the docking station will blink a few times and then turn green.
- Connect the Docking station and the Sync Console with the USB cable. The computer should report that new hardware has been found, installed and is ready to use.
3. Installation of the Podcatcher Sync application
- Download the program ‘Sync Installer.exe‘.
- Go to the location on your computer where you saved the program and right-click on the program ‘Sync Installer’ and choose Run as Administrator. If you encounter an error that closes the installer immediately, your computer probably doesn’t have the .NET framework version 3.5 SP1 installed.
- Press the ‘Install‘ button. The installation process will be run automatically. Sometimes you may receive a Windows message when closing the installation. This message will ask you if the program has correctly been installed and that you can retry the installation with different settings. If the installation has indicated ‘the installer has finished. Double click the Podcatcher Icon in the tray. You can exit the installer now’, then you can ignore and close the Windows message.
- As soon as the installation is finished you will see a green/white Podcatcher icon in your taskbar. If you double click this icon you will see Sync GUI.
- The Gui should mention ‘Warning – This Sync Console has not yet been activated yet!’. Beneath this message you can see an activation code. Write this code down.
If you use a proxy server to connect to the Internet, check the article ‘advanced settings‘.
4. Activate your Sync Console online
- Go to the Podcatcher Portal and log in using your Podcatcher Portal account.
- Click ‘Sync‘.
- Click the [ + Add Sync Console ] button to activate a Sync Console and to link it to your site.
- A popup window should appear with the following input fields:
- Sync Console Authentication Key, this is where you fill in the activation code that you wrote down from the previous step.
- Sync Console Description, this is where you fill in a name for the Sync Console, for example, ‘Distribution point main desk’.
- Number of Docking Stations connected, this is where you fill in the amount of Docking Stations that are connected with the Sync Console. Note: It’s not the amount of Podcatchers!
- Sync Console may automatically reboot on possible hang, this option can be used to give the Podcatcher Sync program the option of restarting the computer if there is a problem. Warning; this means the computer will be forced to restart if the sync application thinks it’s frozen. If you activate this option and the computer is also used for other purposes (we do not advise this, see the ‘Sync Console Specifications’), then the computer can suddenly be restarted without giving you the option to save unsaved data.
- Add the Console by clicking [ Add Sync Console ]. The list of Sync Consoles should update and the new one appears.
If you have multiple locations where Podcatchers need to be provided with content, you can redo the steps mentioned here above at any location with any computer that complies to the Sync Console specifications. Every installation will have its own unique activation code that you can use to activate the location and to be able to see it in the online Sync App.