To synchronize content and usage data of the Podcatchers, a PC needs to be set up as a Sync Console near/at the handout desk which is connected to the Dockingstations and Internet. We will provide this PC to you, but if you need an extra Sync Console installed (for instance in the office or at a partner) you can install our synchronization software on a regular PC. Below you find the specifications a Sync Console must meet to work properly.
The computer that will be set up as Sync Console must meet (or exceed) the following specifications:
- Any new PC you find in a store is more than likely good enough.
- Operating System: Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit editions are both supported), Windows 8 (32- or 64-bit), Windows 10 (32 or 64 bit).
- We recommend buying a (mini)computer or laptop that still has USB 2 connections to connect the USB HUBs or Docking Stations to, we have seen problems with USB 3 connectors (usually USB 2 connectors in a computer are black and USB 3 ones are blue).
- Do not connect more than 30 Docking Stations (or 300 Podcatchers) to a single sync PC.
- When using USB hubs, connect the Docks only to the hubs, and the hubs only to the computer. Don’t plug hubs into other hubs, as we’ve experienced a lot of trouble with this in the past. If you decide to do this regardless, please mention this whenever you contact us for support on sync issues.
- The PC needs to have an ethernet (wired) connection, only wifi is insufficient.
- Internal memory (RAM): At least 512 MB.
- Storage space (hard drive): At least 1 GB. It is strongly recommended to take a much larger margin in the amount of free space; preferably upwards of 100GB to allow Windows to continue installing updates for a long while.
- USB connection: At least 1 free USB 1.1 port; typically you will have 10 Docks plugged into a USB hub, so the actual amount depends on how many Docking stations you have for a given Sync Console. Remember to limit the total number of docks connected to a single computer to 30.
- The PC needs to be updated (automatically) with the latest Windows updates (using Windows Update).
- The PC needs to be switched on 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- The PC needs to be connected to the Internet 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- The PC and connected Dockingstations need to be connected to the power 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- You need to have ‘Administrator’ privileges for the synchronization software to install.
- Important for the IT Department; the Sync Console needs to be able to connect to our server via the website apps.podcatcher.eu on Port 80.
Note: The Podcatcher Sync software does not directly support connections to the Internet through a proxy server! There is a workaround for this, see the advanced setup page for more information.
Note: The Podcatcher Sync program does not run under Linux or MacOS.
Note: Never (!) use USB extension cords, only our provided USB cables (about 1.80m/6ft in length). If you need more length, place the sync computer closer or move the docks, you cannot extend the USB cables without running into serious sync issues that are very hard to diagnose and unsolvable for helpdesk.